Lemon butterfly cakes
Inspired by Mary Berry on the Saturday Kitchen I got out my pinny and made a batch of these delicate little cakes. Filled with lemon curd and topped with butter cream these really do melt in your mouth.
Ingredients for 12 fairy cakes
- 100g stork margarine
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Ingredients for the butter icing
- 50g butter (softened)
- 100g icing sugar, sifted
- plus extra icing sugar to finish
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan)
- Line your bun tin with paper cases
- Add all your cake ingredients (not the Lemon Curd) into a mixing bowl and beat for around 2 or 3 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into each paper case and then feel free to lick the spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the cakes are well-risen and golden. Lift the cakes from the tin and let them cool on a wire rack.
- When the cakes have cooled, cut a disk from each cake but make sure you leave a little rim around each one. Cut each disk in half as these will form the wings.
- Spoon a dollop of lemon curd into each fairy cake.
- To make the butter icing, mix up the butter and the icing sugar until smooth and well blended. I needed a few drops of milk to my mix to get the right consistency.
- Dollop a teaspoon (or swirl with a piping bag if you are feeling really professional) of butter icing over the lemon curd.
- Finally, place your half sliced cake discs over the top to resemble wings.
Prepare it ahead
These cakes will keep in a cake tin for around 3 days. They can also be frozen (1 month).