Steak and ale pie (using slow cooker)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 kg braising steak, cubed
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 300ml Guiness
- 2 beef Oxo cubes
- 200g mushrooms
- 400ml boiling water
- Jus Rol ready to use shortcrust pastry
I make the filling the day before.
- Brown the steak in a frying pan. Try to do it in small batches. Then set aside in your slow cooker.
- Add the onions and carrots to the frying pan and drizzling on a little more oil, cook for around 5 minutes.
- Scatter over the sugar and flour and then tip the beef back into the frying pan.
- Now drop this mixture into the slow cooker and pour in the boiling water, the Guinness and then crumble your oxo cubes into it. Tip in your mushrooms.
- Give it all a good stir and then season with salt and pepper. Cook on the medium-low setting for around 8 hours.
- When you're ready to cook the pie preheat the oven to 220C (200C fan). Roll out the shortcrust pastry and then cut a strip to edge your pie dish. Brush with a beaten egg and then cut a pastry disk for the centre.
- Now crimp around your pie and decorate with any remaining pastry. Don't forget to make a few slits to the centre of the pie for the heat to escape. Brush the surface with beaten egg.
- Place your pie dish on top of a baking tray in the centre of the oven, and bake for 40 minutes.
- I served it with garlic and rosemary roast potatoes, a good helping of green vegetables and a jug of gravy.