"This rivals sloe gin for rich, sweet, deliciousness. Make it now for drinking next Christmas (allowing yourself a taster or two on bottling, of course). Makes around 1.5 litres."
- 1kg damsons, washed
- 500g sugar
- 1 litre vodka
- Prick the damsons with the point of a sharp knife and then transfer to a large, clean Kilner jar.
- Add the sugar and pour in the vodka. Seal and store in a cool, dark place.
- Every week or two, turn the jar on its head and then back again.
- After 6 months, strain the liquid through several layers of muslin, then bottle and seal tightly.
- Store for another 6 months but it will be better if you leave for 2 years (of course that is only if you can wait that long!)