Recipe: Apple crumble
For the crumble
- 300g/10½oz plain flour, sieved pinch of salt
- 175g/6oz sugar
- 200g/7oz butter, cubed at room temperature
- butter for greasing
- 450g/1lb cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1cm/½in pieces
- 50g/2oz sugar
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Place the flour and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Taking a few cubes of butter at a time rub into the flour mixture. Keep rubbing until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Place the fruit in a large bowl and sprinkle over the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Stir well being careful not to break up the fruit.
- Butter a 24cm/9in ovenproof dish. Spoon the fruit mixture into the bottom, then sprinkle the crumble mixture on top.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the crumble is browned and the fruit mixture bubbling.
- Serve with thick cream, custard or good vanilla ice-cream.