Recipe: Gateau au yaourt
Thank you to my good friend Pascal for sending me this delicious French cake recipe. I was in home-making mood today after a very busy weekend away. I have to say this cake made my whole house smell soo good this afternoon AND is both simple to prepare and extremely delicious. I think this could be in a seriously close contest with the Victoria sponge. I don't know for sure but I'd even hazard a guess that it is not so fattening as other cakes as you don't use any butter in the recipe. However, I chose to tweak the recipe by adding Nutella (so add on another 1000 calories)
- 3 medium eggs
- 1x 125g or 150g pot of yogurt ( you can use natural or flavoured, I chose vanilla)
- 3 (using the empty yogurt pot) pots of plain flour
- 2 (using the empty yogurt pot) pots of caster sugar
- vanilla essence
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- half a pot of vegetable oil
- Line and grease a cake tin (approx 21 cm). Preheat the oven at 180C (175C fan)
- Put the yogurt into a large mixing bowl and stir until smooth
- Add the sugar and stir. You don't want to see any lumps.
- Add one egg at a time, mixing all the time.
- Add half a pot of oil and mix smooth
- Carefully add the flour and the baking powder to the mixture. Fold until smooth.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake for 25 minutes
- Once cooled I cut the cake in half like a sandwich and melted my all-time favourite, Nutella for some seconds in the microwave. Then I generously spread the chocolate and sandwich together.
|Enjoying a mug of tea and my gateau|