Recipe: Gateau au yaourt

Thank you to my good friend Pascal for sending me this delicious French cake recipe. I was in home-making mood today after a very busy weekend away. I have to say this cake made my whole house smell soo good this afternoon AND is both simple to prepare and extremely delicious. I think this could be in a seriously close contest with the Victoria sponge. I don't know for sure but I'd even hazard a guess that it is not so fattening as other cakes as you don't use any butter in the recipe.  However, I chose to tweak the recipe by adding Nutella (so add on another 1000 calories)

Ingredients
  • 3 medium eggs
  • 1x 125g or 150g pot of yogurt ( you can use natural or flavoured, I chose vanilla) 
  • 3 (using the empty yogurt pot) pots of plain flour
  • 2 (using the empty yogurt pot) pots of caster sugar
  • vanilla essence
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • half a pot of vegetable oil
Method
  1. Line and grease a cake tin (approx 21 cm). Preheat the oven at 180C (175C fan)
  2. Put the yogurt into a large mixing bowl and stir until smooth
  3. Add the sugar and stir. You don't want to see any lumps. 
  4. Add one egg at a time, mixing all the time.
  5. Add half a pot of oil and mix smooth
  6. Carefully add the flour and the baking powder to the mixture.  Fold until smooth.
  7. Pour into the cake tin and bake for 25 minutes
  8. Once cooled I cut the cake in half like a sandwich and melted my all-time favourite, Nutella for some seconds in the microwave. Then I generously spread the chocolate and sandwich together.




Enjoying a mug of tea and my gateau

Comments

  1. Hey! it's look good! I'll try Nutella next time, that's a pretty (naughty?) idea ;)

    Yes, this delicious cake is very simple to make and guess what? it is in my serious pastry cookbook! I noticed that yesterday. So, it shows that you don't need to achieve complex things in life to enjoy a nice little moment :)

    By the way, I don't if it is really a 100% French cake - I guess so though - but yours look so British hehe, very nice!

    Bon appétit!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts