Cycling Hadrian's Wall (coast to coast)

Hadrian's Wall was on my last year's to-do list but the logistics were a bit off-putting.  I don't want anything to dishearten me on my first long distance ride. However, I am glad to say that I have not given up on my research. The prospect of carrying everything with me- tent, food and clothing for 4 days is a bit horrendous. I also didn't want to be part of an organised group cycling along with 10-15 people. There is nothing wrong with organised group travel but I'd like the flexibility of stopping whenever I want for sightseeing and photographs. Likewise, I might want to pedal faster to enjoy a hot shower and a good pub meal. 
So far I have found a few self-guided holiday companies and one baggage haulage company. 
  • Skedaddle offers self-guided 2,3, or 4 day holidays (prices for 2012 range from £230-360). Self-guided means that Bed and breakfast accommodation is booked for you in advance, you are collected from the train station and taken to the start point, you are given maps and itinerary, and your baggage is transferred to the next day's accommodation, and there is emergency back-up if necessary.
  • Hadrian's Wall Ltd. offers a one week (6 day) cycle and walking trek.However this covers only 90 miles and has only 2 days in the saddle. You will be walking 15 miles a day on foot.
  • Hadrian's Haul is a baggage courier service. £5 per bag, per pick up. A good budget option when you can easily book accommodation in advance.
  • Cycleactive : a slightly different route on the C2C - less hilly but longer in length. Bag transfer, 3 nights accommodation, breakfast, emergency breakdown and the bit I really like the sound of - return transport from the finish, tea and cake, champagne and a chance for a hot shower. £335.

Links
Hadrian's Cycleway resources - an excellent guide.
Hadrian's Wall Northumberland

Comments

Popular Posts