Perfect Victoria Sandwich
Ingredients to serve 10
- 225g (8oz) unsalted butter, softened, plus extra to grease
- 225g self-raising flour, plus extra to dust
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 6 tbsp strawberry jam
- 250ml (8fl oz) double cream
- Icing sugar to dust
- Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan). Lightly grease two 20.5cm (8in) cake tins and line the bases with parchment. Dust the sides of the tin with flour and tap out the excess.
- Put butter and sugar into a large mixing bowl and cream using a handheld electric whisk. Whisk until pale and fluffy - around 3 minutes. Gradually add an egg at a time. Beating well after each addition.
- Sift in the flour and fold together using a large metal spoon. Next fold in the milk.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two cake tins. Level the surface of each and bake in the centre of the oven for around 25 minutes until the cakes are golden and spring back when pressed lightly.
- Leave cakes to cool for 5 minutes before removing and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once cool, spread the jam over the top of one of the sponge cakes.
- Lightly whip the double cream in a bowl and dollop over the jam layer. Top with the remaining sponge cake and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve in slices.
Info : 527 cals per serving, 35g fat (21g saturates), 52g carbs (35g sugars).