Recipe : Sausage hot pot
Cheap and tasty, and filling home cooked food.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- Packet of good quality sausages (6 in a pack)
- 1 tin of baked beans
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Olive oil
- Grated cheese
- 2 large potatoes, thinly sliced
- Splash of milk
- Olive oil
- 1 meat stock cube
- Grill sausages until nicely browned.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- While sausages cooking, chop up your vegetables
- Fry the onion, garlic and carrots in some olive oil until the onions have softened and are starting to brown.
- Add the tin of tomatoes and bring to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer.
- Season with herbs, salt and pepper.
- Parboil the potato slices for 10-15 minutes.
- When sausages are ready and slightly cooled, slice and add them to the casserole pot.
- Add the tin of beans and a good splash of water.
- Crumble in one stock cube, add the sausages and a splash of milk.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Arrange the potato slices over the top of the dish and transfer to a moderate oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle with grated cheese and then back into the oven for 5 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread.