Midweek dinner : Leek and bacon penne bake
|Recipe from M&S Autumn food magazine|
Serves 4. Ready in 1 hour.
- 1 tsbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 5 rashers of bacon, chopped
- 250g penne
- 40g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 500ml milk
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 125g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- slice of white bread, whizzed into crumbs
- Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan, 400F). Heat oil in frying pan and gently cook the leeks for 6-8 minutes until soft; remove and set aside.
- Fry the bacon until crispy, then set aside. Meanwhile, cook the penne for 5 minutes; drain, then return to the pan.
- Gently melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Over a very low heat, gradually stir in the milk. Cook for 5-6 minute, stirring continuously, until smooth and thick. Stir in the mustard and half the cheese, then season to taste.
- Add the leeks and bacon to the penne, stir well, pour over the sauce, then toss together. Transfer to ovenproof dish.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs and remaining cheese, season with pepper and scatter over the pasta. Bake for 20 minutes until golden and bubbling around the edges.