Recipe: Cinnamon and apple muffins
I had two sad looking apples in the fruit bowl, rapidly losing their "eat me" appeal. What to do with them? How about making spicy muffins in 15 minutes just using a few extra items from your cupboard. Easy.
Cinnamon and apple muffins (makes 12 muffins)
- 100g butter
- 5 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 125ml milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 125g self raising flour
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 eating apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 200C (180 fan) and line your muffin tin with 12 paper cases
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together into a mixing bowl, then stir in the sugar and apples.
- Beat the butter and egg in a separate mixing bowls and add the milk until blended. Stir into the flour but don't over mix. The mixture should appear a bit lumpy.
- Spoon the mixture into your paper cases.
- To make the topping, mix together 12 brown sugar cubes together with a tsp of ground cinnamon and sprinkle over the tops of your muffins.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until well risen and springy to the touch. Leave the muffins to cool slightly in the tin.
Best served still warm from the oven but will store well for a few days in an airtight container.