Recipe: Slow cooked Hungarian style stew
|Time to open one of my souvenirs...|
- 3 onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 heaped tbsp sweet paprika
- Around 800g cubed pork
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 large red peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 500 ml stock
- 1 level tsp caraway seeds
- Noodles to serve
- Thickly slice up the onions and soften in a frying pan with the olive oil. Cook until they start to turn golden. Add the paprika and the chilli flakes and cook for a minute or two. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add a little more oil to the pan and fry your cubes of pork and cook until nicely browned. Add the tbsp of flour and stir in your onions for one minute.
- Turn the slow cooker on low and add your pork and onions from the frying pan. Pour in the tin of tomatoes, the stock, add the red peppers. Season with the tsp of caraway seeds.
- Cover and don't disturb for at least 6 hours (better at 8 hours).
- When you're ready to serve, remove some of the fat from the surface with a wide spoon. Pour soured cream over the top and stir once.
- Serve with noodles.