Recipe: Cheese scones
I've tried a few cheese scone recipes now and I think this one is tasty and simple with no need for weighing scales.
- 500 ml flour (2 cups)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Large pinch of salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 250ml of strong cheddar cheese
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
- 125ml milk (but you might need a little bit more depending on consistency)
- 1 egg
- Preheat your oven to 180 Celsius (160 fan)
- Sift together the flour, salt, cayenne and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the milk and the egg. Add the oil to the egg mixture.
- Pour this egg/milk/oil mix into flour mixing bowl. Using a fork, mix the dough roughly until it starts to clump together. If your mixture is too dry, add a little more milk. Get your hands inside and turn until it is a nice dough mix.
- Now transfer to a clean, floured flat surface and press down with your hands. You want the dough to be around 10mm thick. * WARNING* Don't press your dough mix too hard or it won't rise enough.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out your scones and place on a baking tray that has been lined with baking paper.
- Now pop them in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
Best enjoyed still oven warm with butter and cheeses.