Recipe : Stir-fried tofu with oyster sauce
Tofu is a treat for me and something I like to make when the boys are away. Most people don't get it.. "It's so bland" they say. But that blandness is its strength because it picks up all the flavours of the ingredients it is cooked with especially the spicy ones.
- 500g firm tofu
- 3-4 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons of grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 8 chestnut or oyster mushrooms, quartered
- 2 spring onions, cut into pieces
- 2 small pak choi, quartered
- large handful of coriander leaves
- Cut the tofu into bite size pieces and then heat your wok over a medium heat using half of the oil.
- When it's very hot and starting to smoke, cook half of the tofu until golden brown on all sides. You have to keep moving the tofu around all the time or it will stick.
- Remove from pan and set aside. Repeat with the other half of tofu. Return the set-aside tofu to the pan.
- Add the garlic, ginger, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar and stir together with the tofu.
- Add the mushrooms, spring onions and pak choi, then simmer until the sauce has reduced down a little and the spring onions and pak choi have wilted.
- Garnish with the coriander leaves and eat with a bowl of boiled rice. Chopsticks optional. Yum!