Recipe of the week: Chicken marsala
No, I'm not talking about Brit favourite chicken tikka masala, this is the Italian-American dish Chicken Marsala, cooked with Sicilian fortified wine. It is gorgeously delicious and makes for a wonderful Sunday dinner.
p.s. This is week 2 of my new year goal of cooking a new recipe each week
- 4 organic chicken breasts
- plain flour
- 2 slices organic back bacon
- 225g packet of button mushrooms, (I cut mine in half)
- 1/2 cup of marsala wine
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock
- 1/4 cup of chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Slice through the chicken breasts, making them thinner steaks.
- Pour some plain flour onto a plate and season well with salt and pepper. Mix with a fork to combine.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and coat each chicken steak in the flour mixture before frying in pan. I managed to get 4 steaks at a time in my pan. Cook for around 6-7 minutes each side, till they are nicely browned and cooked inside.
- Set aside the chicken onto a plate in a warm oven while you cook the rest of the ingredients.
- Slice up your bacon and fry in the same pan, add the mushrooms and cook till lovely and brown.
- Now pour in your marsala wine and let it bubble for a minutes to cook away the alcohol. Now add your chicken stock.
- Return the chicken to the frying pan and cook for a few more minutes, the sauce will reduce away and thicken.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with your parsley.
- I served mine with buttery rosemary and garlic roast potatoes and green beans.